Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare is a full expansion coming to Halo Wars 2 featuring a new campaign with Blur cinematics, exclusive new multiplayer Leaders, new maps playable for all players and Terminus Firefight, a unique game mode in the expansion set on a dynamic map where players build bases and armies to defend against waves of enemy forces. Expanding on the epic story players play from the perspective of the Banished and experience their desperate struggle against a terrifying and ancient enemy – the Flood!
- The Return of the Spirit of Fire – Experience a riveting campaign which reintroduces the Spirit of Fire to the current Halo timeline, as Captain Cutter and his crew fight a dangerous new enemy intent on conquering the galaxy. Brought to life through detailed in-game graphics and the cinematic artistry of Blur Studios
- The Dawn of Atriox – Introduced a new menacing villain to the Halo universe – Atriox, the leader of a violent, mercenary force known as The Banished. The Banished bring many classic Halo alien weapons of war to the battlefield with an explosive new redesign, making them more brutal and deadly than anything the UNSC has ever encountered in their battles with the Covenant.
- Skirmish – Test your battle strategies against a range of AI difficulty levels. Fight across all the environments and multiplayer game modes with as many AI and co-op friends (or enemies!) as each mode will allow.
- Strongholds – Strongholds is a fast-paced game mode where the objective is to capture and control the most bases when the round’s timer stops. Players will start off with a pre-built base and pool of resources to quickly deploy troops, and capturing a base increases the total amount of forces a player can control.
- Domination – In Domination, build your base, build your army, and battle for control of the map and supremacy of the Ark! Take control of distinct nodes on the map and hold them long enough to win the game. There’s no time limit and a match will end when one player has held enough nodes to get the enemy counter down to zero.
- Deathmatch – In Deathmatch you’ll plan and build your base and army, but instead of fighting for map control you’ll fight until only one team remains standing. Outthink and outflank your opponents, then have a celebratory barbecue on the smoking remains of their home bases.
- Blitz – Blitz is a new, innovative and action-packed twist on RTS gameplay that combines card-based strategy with explosive combat. Your card deck is your army in Blitz as you build collections of powerful Halo vehicles and troops and command those units in fast-action battles